LB - Yavapai College -  218-15 (2nd)

Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Subscriber Services | 928 Media Lab | Real Estate Search | Galleries | Obits | Yellow Pages | TV Listings | Contact Us
The Prescott Daily Courier | Prescott, Arizona

home : sports : sports May 22, 2015

11/6/2012 9:59:00 PM
Kingman football player who suffered serious injury in Prescott Valley continues long road to recovery
Courtesy photo/Rodney HaasDerek Curran (78) and Matt Waite bring down Flagstaff’s Marshall Brownfield (14) during the Bulldogs’ 36-18 Homecoming loss on Sept. 28. Curran suffered a seizure on the sidelines during Kingman’s season ending win against Bradshaw Mountain in Prescott Valley Oct. 26. Curran is still in a Phoenix hospital and faces a long road back to recovery.
Courtesy photo/Rodney Haas
Derek Curran (78) and Matt Waite bring down Flagstaff’s Marshall Brownfield (14) during the Bulldogs’ 36-18 Homecoming loss on Sept. 28. Curran suffered a seizure on the sidelines during Kingman’s season ending win against Bradshaw Mountain in Prescott Valley Oct. 26. Curran is still in a Phoenix hospital and faces a long road back to recovery.
By Rodney Haas
Special to the Courier

KINGMAN - In an instant, Derek Curran's life was changed forever.

One minute he was a Kingman High senior playing in his final high school football game with dreams of playing in college.

The next, he was on the sidelines having a seizure, his dream dead and his road paved with uncertainties as he begins the path to re-learn the basics of life.

It's been two weeks since Curran was stricken during the third quarter of the Bulldogs' 24-17 win over Bradshaw Mountain in Prescott Valley. Since then it's been a series of ups and downs for him and his family since he was airlifted from Yavapai Medical Center to Phoenix's St. Joseph's Medical Center. He remains in critical condition in the intensive care unit, according to his mother, Jan Curran.

Curran was diagnosed with a subdural hematoma in Prescott, and when he arrived in Phoenix, doctors put him into a medically-induced coma and on life support, which Jan said is just protocol for the type of injury her son sustained.

"They have to induce the coma, put the breathing tube in and get him to relax to let the brain recover," Jan said. "It's just part of the process for that type of brain injury.

"Life support when people think of it is when you can't breathe on your own and they have to breathe for you. When you have a brain injury, sometimes the brain is so injured that you forget to breathe, you're too agitated to relax the heart rate, and they have to relax the brain because the pressure makes the brain injury worse."

Doctors brought Curran out of the coma and removed the ventilator this past Wednesday, but he is still weak after contracting pneumonia and having a temperature of 103 degrees for three straight days.

"His lungs were very infected. He might have had some illness before. Of course, laying on the bed and on the ventilator that didn't help," Jan said. "He's unable to regulate his own temperature and was unable to eat. He's just started eating. He ate some mashed potatoes but he can't drink liquids yet and he's not swallowing yet."

It may sound like Curran is in rough shape, but Jan says that doctors are optimistic of a full recovery. However, it's still too early to tell if there will be any long lasting effects.

"He is showing improvement every day," she said. "He's talking, he's remembering people and moving his arms and legs. But he has to go to a rehabilitation center."

Doctors were hopeful that Curran could be released from ICU this past weekend and admitted into the hospital's neurological rehab center, where they specialize in treating people who have had strokes, traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord injuries.

But while this is a positive step for him, it's also the first step to recovery. According to Jan, he is going to have speech, occupational and physical therapy.

"He has a long road ahead," said Jan, who is an occupational therapist herself. "He can't sit up on his own, he can't balance himself. They have to help him into a chair. He hasn't walked yet. So they will have to teach him how to walk, teach him how to feed himself, teach him to prepare for simple things in life."

Curran's return to Kingman will depend on how he progresses with his rehabilitation, Jan said. She has seen patients take two weeks, but sometimes it's taken four or eight weeks.

However, recovery time does raise the question of school work Curran's missed. According to KHS athletic director John Venenga, Curran was on track to graduate in December, and the school will find a way to make sure he does graduate.

"We will work with him and his family," Venenga said. "We will make sure he gets the credits."

How Curran suffered the injury is still a mystery - there is not a play to point to when he was hit hard on the head. With 7:16 left in the third quarter and the Bulldogs leading 18-17, Curran came off the field acting confused. KHS athletic trainer Jenny Harpest started to check him out on the sidelines.

"The sports trainer was excellent," Jan said. "She attempted to assess him when he said his head was hurting really bad."

Curran was arguing that he could go back into the game when he collapsed.

Paramedics on scene started to care for him - giving him IVs as the game was delayed almost a half-hour.

Jan didn't travel to Prescott Valley for the game and was informed by Venenga, who called her from the scene and relayed information to the paramedics treating her son.

"I haven't met the paramedics, I wish there was a way to thank them," she said. "I guess they treated him like he was their own kid and they wanted to make sure he got the best care and did what ever they needed to."

It was around 9 p.m. when Jan got the call from Venenga, and by 9:45 p.m. she had a suitcase packed and was on the road heading to Phoenix - arriving there around 12:30 a.m. She waited another two hours before Curran was stable and she could see her son.

"Thank God for smart phones," Jan joked about trying to find the hospital.

The good news, Jan said, is the insurance is going to pick up all the costs of the care and the rehabilitation. She is grateful to the Ronald McDonald House, where she has been staying all week.

"That has been a huge Godsend," she said.

Back in Kingman, Jan's husband and other son have been getting community support from their church and other community members.

"I've heard some kids at the high school have some fundraisers to help with some of the expenses of being away," Jan said.

Time will only tell what lasting effects Derek Curran has from one hit on a Friday night in October, if he has a normal life or one filled with complications. But one thing is certain - Derek Curran won't be playing football on Saturday afternoons. The dream of playing college football died on the field in Prescott Valley on Oct. 26.

"Once you have (a head injury), the likelihood of getting another one is real and this was a bad one," Jan said. "The doctors have told me that he won't be able to play football again. I haven't told him yet. The neurosurgeon said that this was his one get out of jail free card and he used it."

Party in the Pines PAYP

    Most Viewed     Recently Commented
•   Obituary: Carolyn Sims Dicus (1674 views)

•   Wet, cool weather keeps fire bans at bay (1062 views)

•   High school graduate channels adversity, enlists in Army as means to serve others (1037 views)

•   US agencies looking into whether Mueller was kept by IS leader (918 views)

•   Work continues on Capital Canyon Club, opening set for early July (884 views)

Reader Comments

Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012
Article comment by: BMHS student

my heart and prayers go out to his family and him i was at this game and i was so worried about him i wish i could have helped him. I have never seen a kid get hit so hard i'm glad hes on a slow but good recovery hope to see you better.

BMHS student

Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012
Article comment by: Coach K

I was at the game also and I want to thank the courier for printing this follow up story. Really good to see our local paper keeping everyone updated. I hope the best for Derek and his family. Thank goodness we have quality paramedics who care serving our community.

Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012
Article comment by: M B

I was at the game and close to where Derekcollapsed. It was scary to watch as the EMT's gave what appeared to be life-saving treatment to Derek.

I want to thank the Courier for doing a follow-up on this young man and letting those of us who witnessed this tragic incident how he is doing. Is there any type of bank account that people can donate to and help with costs?

My thoughts and prayers go out to this young man for a speedy recovery.

Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012
Article comment by: Ronnie Cain

My thoughts and prayers are with Derek for a complete recovery!

Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012
Article comment by: AT Student

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family and the the young athlete who's live has ben changed by this. Also kudos to the Athletic Trainer who was there.

It sounds to me like this athlete suffered from second impact syndrome as a result of a second concussion after receiving an undiagnosed primary concussion. This is why recognizing and diagnosing concussions are crucial in order to prevent this second impact syndrome.

Article Comment Submission Form
Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comments are limited to Facebook character limits. In order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Last Name:
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.

Advanced Search

HSE - We want to hear from you
HSE - dCourier App
HSE- Rants&Raves
HSE - Sports Desk 300x219

Quick Links
 •  Submit site feedback or questions

 •  Submit your milestone notice

 •  Submit your letter to the editor

 •  Submit a news tip or story idea

 •  Place a classified ad online now

 •  Browse the Yellow Pages

Find It Features Blogs Milestones Extras Submit Other Publications Links
Classifieds | Subscriber Services | Real Estate Search | Galleries | Find Prescott Jobs | e-News | RSS | Site Map | Contact Us
LB - Washington Post 0408 subscribe

© Copyright 2015 Western News&Info, Inc.® The Daily Courier is the information source for Prescott area communities in Northern Arizona. Original content may not be reprinted or distributed without the written permission of Prescott Newspapers, Inc. Prescott Newspapers Online is a service of Prescott Newspapers Inc. By using the Site, ®, you agree to abide and be bound by the Site's terms of use and Privacy Policy, which prohibit commercial use of any information on the Site. Click here to submit your questions, comments or suggestions. Prescott Newspapers Online is a proud publication of Western News&Info, Inc.® All Rights Reserved.

Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved