11/27/2012 9:50:00 PM Garage fire likely caused by gas can near hot water heater
Les Stukenberg/The Daily Courier Prescott and Central Yavapai firefighters respond to a house fire on Deer Trail in Ponderosa Park Tuesday morning. The fire was contained to the bottom-floor garage and the house suffered minimal damage.
Two Prescott ladder trucks, a water tanker and utility truck along with two CYFD engines and a water tanker as well as Lifelin Ambulance and Yavapai County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the fire.
Lisa Irish The Daily Courier
Prescott and Central Yavapai firefighters put out a fire at a Ponderosa Park home on Tuesday morning, containing the damage to the garage.
At 8:24 a.m., firefighters answered a homeowner's call about a fire in the garage of their home in the 4900 block of South Deer Trail.
"When firefighters got on scene they saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the garage," Prescott Fire Department spokesman Wade Ward said.
Prescott and Central Yavapai Fire District engines responded and firefighters contained the fire within minutes, then remained on scene doing cleanup and overhaul until about 10:30 a.m., Ward said.
"Investigators found a gasoline can next to the hot water heater in the garage and believe fumes from the container were ignited by the hot water heater," said CYFD Fire Marshal Rick Chase.
No one was injured in the fire, according to Ward.
The homeowner was told that the home could not be occupied until a county building inspector checks it, Ward said. Damages are estimated at $8,000 to the structure and $20,000 in contents.
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Article comment by:
I had an uncle die in a similar fire in rural Ohio. In a closed garage where he worked on cars occasionally, a leaking car gas tank and a wood burning stove and he was trapped by the explosion and fire.