4/23/2013 10:00:00 PM Morning blaze: Ashes spark fire at Prescott Valley home
Les Stukenberg/The Daily Courier Central Yavapai firefighters put out a fire in the 7200 block of Pioneer Lane in Prescott Valley Tuesday morning.
Lisa Irish The Daily Courier
A fire that burned a Prescott Valley home's garage and trusses and spread into the attic Tuesday morning was sparked by ashes placed in a trash can near the garage, Central Yavapai Fire District Fire Marshal Rick Chase said.
At 10:22 a.m., Central Yavapai firefighters answered a call about a structure fire in the 7000 block of E. Pioneer Lane after a neighbor reported seeing flames near the home's garage, Chase said.
When firefighters arrived, they saw that 25 percent of the home was on fire.
"The fire started outside of the home in a trash can near the garage," Chase said. "The fire burnt through an exterior wall, trusses, the garage and part of the residence. It burned up an electric power meter and a gas meter, so natural gas was feeding the fire."
Four engines, battalion chiefs, a fire investigator and a utility truck responded to the scene.
"Fire crews were able to quickly knock down the fire," Chase said. "They extinguished fire that extended to the attic, and were there several hours doing overhaul."
No one was injured in the fire that caused an estimated $80,000 in damages, and the occupants were displaced from their home, Chase said.
CYFD reminds residents to put ashes from fireplaces or fire pits in a metal container with a lid, thoroughly soak them with water, and keep the container away from the home or other items that can catch fire until the ashes are completely out, Chase said.